History

The urban history of the Bancroft Neighborhood dates back from the early teens through the 1930’s. More than 80% of our structures were built before 1940 and are today primarily owner-occupied. The neighborhood was named for Bancroft Elementary School, one of the oldest education buildings in the Minneapolis School District.

In the 1920’s, Bancroft residents would hop on the Bloomington or Cedar Avenue street cars to go downtown or to work. Many neighbors would get visits from the Milkman, the Watkins Spice man, and the Fuller Brush man. Other shopping and business could be done right in the neighborhood. You could find a butcher, grocer, drug store, doctor’s office and a nursery all within a few blocks. Organ grinders with monkeys would provide entertainment for local children along local streets. Children in the 1920’s, same as children today, tore out of their homes to catch the ice cream man. Winter and Summer fun could be found at nearby Powderhorn Lake, Lakes Nokomis and Hiawatha.

Neighborhood Map


View Bancroft Neighborhood in a larger map